Monday, August 4, 2008

Seeing Double



While we were upstate I managed to sew in all those gosh darn ends for the last minute baby sweater. I even kitchener stitched the insides of the sleeves! The kitchener stitch is now one of my favorite things but it took us awhile to come to terms with each other. It is a weaving technique that allows you to join to ends of work so that it looks like it was knit. I first learned it in Vermont were the ferocious knitters of my knitting group would whip their stitches off the needles and in weave up the end of a sock in no time. I am a bit more timid and choose to leave my stitches on the needles until I am sure they are secure. I still haven’t mastered the art of doing it without mumbling to myself “as if to knit, as if to purl” continuously under my breath. And lord help us all if someone distracts me while I am in the middle of it! I find it best to do it by myself or at least in some hidden corner of the room away from others.
The sweater came out so well that I decided to make another one! I swear everyone we know is pregnant or trying to be and I have a lot of Debbie Bliss yarn that I got on sale a few years ago from Webs. So it looks like the baby gift of the year will be a maroon sweater.

No comments: