Monday, November 8, 2010

The Trouble with Paint


The precise conundrum I seem to be in will not be fully appreciated by the world wide web unless we all calibrate our monitors to register the exact same color. This is the only way I can guarantee that you will truly see my problem.
My problem: I keep picking the same paint color. I blame my modern architect father who taught me that white has many shades and who needs more. But seriously, I keep picking the same color. Three different brands and names: pilgrim haze, silver strand, cold steel. Perhaps the trouble is that paint names have nothing to actually do with the color they represent.
To be fair, they are not the exact same color. Our hallway, the first to be painted is a lovely pale blue. Our bedroom the second room to don a coat of paint is darker, although in the same family. But now there is the paint I bought for our bathroom. I didn’t want to go too far, I was looking for a nice gray with a bit of blue in it. And I found it, except it is pretty darn close to the others just a bit paler. And so it seems I am no longer allowed to buy paint in the blue/gray range. Clearly I have a problem. Do they make support groups for this?

Bedroom

Hallway


Bathroom

3 comments:

Liz B-H said...

That sounds out how I pick out nail polish - when I keep picking up the same color, that's the one I go with! You just haven't gotten blue-gray-haze-whatever out of your system...

Sara said...

Well, steel blue/grey is one of my favorite colors ever, so I heartily applaud your taste. And I pretty much do exactly the same thing. I also always choose exactly the same white, even when trying to choose a slightly different white (it's like I'm pathologically incapable of choosing a warm white -- they are always cool and blue-ish).

Mahka Crafts said...

Back to pantone colors!