Monday, May 5, 2008

Hyperbolic Baby Pants

Yes, that’s what I said hyperbolic baby pants. In the last addition of Craft there was an article on how to knit hyperbolic baby pants. The pattern was adapted from a new book Making Mathematics with Needlework and came with little diagrams of how an octagon could be folded into a pair of pants. Needless to say, I had to try it. What I lack in math skills I seriously make up for in knitting ability. I admit I thought this might be the answer to my math fears. I can knit anything. Maybe through knitting I could learn math. I dutifully traced the diagrams and folded them into pant-like shapes.

My first attempt yielded baby bell bottoms. Although the article warned row gauge (the amount of rows, vertically, to the inch) was important, I didn’t realize just how important. In my defense row gauge is rarely important, really, I swear ask any knitter! So, I ripped it out and started again, paying lots of attention to all things vertical. I did better the second time around, although I still had to fudge the last few rows.

So this bat like creature, an adapted version of half an octagon.


Here’s what it looks like from the back


and the front.

They make a little more sense in person. Alas, I am afraid I have no 6 month old baby’s around the house to model so Sara will have to promise that once her bun in the oven is 6 months old she will send in an updated photo.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Sara promises, she does, she does! How spectacularly fabulous! Wow, those are really exceptionally cool, I am deeply impressed. Milo (if he ends up being Milo after all) will look marvelous in them this winter!

Sara said...

Did I say thank you? No. Let me rectify that. Yay, and THANK YOU, Mahka!!

Mahka Crafts said...

You got it! I can't wait to see him, in general, and in the pants