Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Devil Really Is In the Details

Are you all sick of hearing about the green bag yet? It may not be a neglected craft project but it is a work in progress. My father, an architect, favorite saying is “a good house is never finished” this may also apply to the perfect bag.

After all that work on sneaking in the pockets it became clear that the pockets needed closures or all the stuff piled into them would tumble willy nilly into the world. The solution two closures: a snap for the expandable one and magnet closures for the metrocard packet.

Putting in the snap was pretty fun because I got to try out my new toy the Dritz snap maker. The snap is a little snug for my taste but I think it will loosen up over time.

For the metrocard pocket I didn’t want to loose the easy access but I wanted to still be able to keep it safe. A couple of years ago a friend gave me a roll of magnetic tape. It is supper thin with one sticky side. Up until now I haven’t been able to come up with a good use for it. But two stripes and a little fabric glue did the trick. It might be my favorite part of the bag now.

For now I am calling this project done, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hi dearie,

I don't want to rain on any pocket parades, but is there a chance the magnet strip on the metrocard pocket could strip the metrocard of its hard-earned money? I love the idea of the snap maker!!

S

Mahka Crafts said...

Well I have been using my metrocard that has been living in the magnet pocket all day and it seems to be fine- I'll keep you posted if funds disappear.

Sara said...

Good! I am very glad to be wrong. Yay for pockets with closures. You are so clever, Miss Makha.